FanFic - Other
"Another Great Year"
Part 1
by Jenn-Jenn
Disclaimer: No rights. No nothing.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I'm no scriptwriter, but this is how I would do the first episode of the coming season. And if Jason Katims wants to use any of it, he can be my guest! Also this is for my friend Tracy, who thinks that the season should START with a happy ending. Sorry Tra, but it ain't going to happen.
Scene 1
(Miserable by Lit is playing in the back ground.)
"You make me come.
You make me complete.
You make me completely miserable."

(A camera pans through Michael's apartment. Clothes are lying everywhere as if they've been tossed aside in a rush. You can't see anyone, but you hear a few noises, mumbles and groans, in the background. Finally, you hear voices - Michael and Isabelle's - but you still can't see them anywhere.)

Is: "Ouch! Michael!"
M: "Isabelle, just stay still for one second, would you? I'm almost done."
Is: "Well, hurry up. I don't know why we have to do this the normal way anyhow."
M: "Because that's the way Max and Tess said it has to be done. So stop whining."

(The camera slowly pans around the corner into what is likely Michael's bedroom. Finally, you see Michael and Isabelle . putting a bookshelf together.)

Is: "But, I could have this thing done in ten seconds flat if you'd let me use my "talents" to put the stupid bookshelf together."
M: "There! Check it out! We did it! The human way. And if I say so myself, it looks pretty good."
Is: "Yeah. It does look nice."
(Isabelle begins stacking books from a box onto the shelves.) "My God, Michael, how many books did you bring back from the reservation?" (She is smirking and holding up a copy of "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus".)
M: "Hey, I had to do something all summer while you guys were at Camp Happy Camp, and I was stuck out there with Tess and River Dog. I got tired of her jabber, and he isn't the most talkative person in the world."
Is: "Neither are you."
M: "What's that supposed to mean?"
Is: "Well, aren't you going to tell me anything? I don't believe for a minute that you didn't come into town even once this summer. Maria was here working full-time at the Crashdown, and you didn't get a single glimpse of her?"
M: "Isabelle, are you jealous?"
Is: "Yeah, right."
M: "To answer your question. No. I didn't see her."
Is: "Didn't you want to? I mean Max could barely go a minute without sighing about Liz while we were in Vancouver. The kids at Mount Horizon thought he was the most gloomy counselor ever allowed on the premises."
M: "Look, I just kept Tess in line and stayed put on the reservation just like we all agreed. Tess taught me how to control my powers better, and I read a lot. That's it, Isabelle. What do you want me to do, write a report on 'Michael's Summer Vacation?'"

(The shelf collapses under the weight of the books. Michael and Isabelle moan and shake their heads.)

Is: "It's going to be a great year!"

Scene 2 (Max and Tess are in the Jeep near the pod site. Tess is kissing Max, who has his eyes shut as if he's enjoying every minute.)

T: "God, I missed you this summer."
Max: "Me too."
T: "Oh, Max."
Max: (whisper) "Liz."
(Tess pushes Max away in a huff.)

T: " One of these days I'm not going to forgive you for saying that."
Max: "Well, Tess, stop pushing me so hard. I've only been back a few days. It's not like I love you just because you're my alien wife."
T: "Gee, thanks, Max. You know how to make me feel so warm inside. It's no wonder I was in love with you on our home planet."
Max: "Look. I'm sorry, Tess. I've been gone all summer, and now that I'm back, I can't get her off my mind. Roswell is only so big. I'm going to run into her eventually. God, school starts tomorrow, and we signed up for all the same classes last semester. So what am I supposed to do?"
T: (moving closer to him again) "She knows your destiny, Max. She knows that you're needed, and she knows who you belong to. You do too; You just have to let go of your human attachments and admit it. You're our leader. There are people out there depending on you to do the right thing, to save them, Max."
Max: "I know that's what the image in the orb, I mean, I know what my mother said. But I don't feel like a leader, Tess. I feel like a real-live 16-year-old human."
T: "That's why we need to keep this up. You know, to merge our past marriage with your, um, present 16-year-old human needs. I know you'll remember the way things were, Max. You just have to try a little harder." (She begins kissing him again, and he lets her. In the background there is a faint beeping noise like from the communicators.)

Scene 3 (There is a party at the Crashdown. The restaurant is clear of customers, but the staff is celebrating. Maria is singing Cumpleanos Feliz, Marilyn Monroe-style, to a guy in an apron.)

Maria: "Salud! (toasting the punch) Happy Birthday, Javier!"
Javier: Gracias Miss Maria. The Crashdown has been mucho fun for the summer, but I am glad to be going back to home finally.
Liz: Good luck, Javier. Here's your last pay check and a little something extra for your wedding when you get back to Mexico.
Javier: Gracias Miss Liz. You are too good.
(Maria and Liz walk off toward the locker room to change.)
Maria: "Well, I'm certainly glad that's over."
Liz: "What? The Party?"
Maria: "No. My 67 days straight as a full-time waitress. I can't wait to have a life again!"
Liz: "It hasn't been so bad, has it? (looking sad) It's kept us busy at least, and I've earned enough in tips to get the telescope I've been saving for."
Maria: "You still want that thing? Why on Earth would you want a telescope now? There is nothing out there worth looking at. Trust me."
Liz: "Ma-r-ia."
Maria: "Don't Ma-r-ia me. You know he's been back for two days now, and he hasn't even driven by here, much less come to see you."
Liz: "Michael hasn't come to see you either has he? (She sees Maria's face and immediately regrets mentioning it.) I'm sorry Maria."
Maria: (recovered) "Hey, I'm fine. Totally over it."
Liz: "Maria, it's one thing to ignore it, but to lie about it.Come on."
Maria: "Look, I've made it all summer. I'm not about to crack now. So you handle it your way; I'll handle it mine. Okay? I'm outta here. Adios."

(Maria leaves, and Liz closes her locker and walks wearily up the stairs to her room.)

Scene 4

(Liz is combing her wet hair from a long shower. She is sitting on her bed clothed in a silky robe with her Journal lying out. A noise on her balcony makes her look up to spy Max standing at her window.)
Liz: "Max?" (Standing suddenly, seemingly forgetting the entire miserable summer in one moment.)
Max: "Hey. (He climbs through the window and walks toward her and touches her hair.) Omigod, you look so beautiful."
Liz: "Max." (breathlessly)
Max: "How have you been?" (His hands exploring her face)
Liz: "Ummm. Okay. I guess. And you?"
Max: "You mean during the 72 days, 8 hours and 47 minutes since I saw you last? Not so great."
Liz: "Oh."

(They stare at each other. Each has a flash of the monotonous days they've spent over the summer. Liz working, writing in her journal. Max sleepless on his bunk at camp, lifeguarding.) Liz smiles knowing how much Max has missed her. She leans toward him. Then she has a final flash of him kissing Tess at the pod site. She looks crushed and backs away.)
Max: "I should have known I couldn't hide anything from you."
Liz: "No. It's fine. Really. I know you're with Tess now."
Max: "Liz, everybody keeps telling me that's the way it has to be. Even you have. But, I still don't believe it. It doesn't feel right. She's not you."
Liz: "You should probably go."
Max: "Liz?"
Liz: "Really. I think you should. I'll see you at school I'm sure. It's going to be great being juniors, don't you think?" (She is struggling to keep it together.)
Max: "Liz. (He pauses as if he's going to say he's sorry) Bye."

(Max slips out of the room, and Liz whispers bye before she starts crying.)

Scene 5 (The four aliens are sitting in Michael's apartment. It's the morning of the first day of school.)

Max: "So everyone knows the plan?"
Is: "Yeah, Max, we got it. No using our powers at all. Basically, act as if nothing ever happened. You realize that that's easier said than done?"
M: "What are you going to do when you see Liz?"
Max: "I've already seen her."
All: "What!" "Whoa!" "Max?"
Max: "I had to. But don't worry, I can handle it. To the outside world, we just broke up like any normal teenage couple, and now I'm dating Tess. That's how it's got to be."
M: "What about Maria and me and Alex and Is?"
Max: "Same should apply."
Is: "Max! My friends know that Michael isn't my type. They'll figure out that something is up."
Max: "I guess you'll just have to convince them you've had a change of heart. If I have to accept that Tess is my wife in some alternate universe, then you and Michael will have to start accepting your roles too. Got it?"
Is and M: "Whatever. Yeah, we got it. Sir."
(They walk out together.)
T: "Are you ready for this?"
Max: "I don't think we have a choice."
T: "Then let's get it over with."

(Walking into school. Isabelle is dressed to impress on the first day, and Michael looks like he just rolled out of bed.)
M: "Well, here goes nothing." (He grabs Isabelle's hand and leads/drags her into the school. Some of the kids say hello to Isabelle and stare at the two of them holding hands. The couple spots Alex and Maria standing by their lockers, and on instinct, heads straight for them. When Maria looks up to see them, she slams the locker door and stalks away. Alex looks at them holding hands, shakes his head and walks off in the other direction.)

Is: "Have I mentioned what a great year this is going to be?"

Scene 6:

(Class is getting ready to start in the science lab. Liz is sitting with Kyle, Alex with Maria and the aliens are in their pod pairs. A likeable, young "cool guy" (Howie?) science teacher dressed in all black walks in. He is also wearing a leather rope necklace with the emblem from the "other" beacons seen at the end of last season.)
Eli: "Good morning class. My name is Eli. Yes, that is Eli, please not Mr. Jenkins. I'll be teaching Earth Sciences this semester. Anyone not interested in Earth or sciences need not apply." (He continues talking in the background. Tess looks around as if she hears something. It's the beeping again.)
T: (whispering) "Max? Do you hear that?"
Max: "What?"
T: "Something's beeping."
Max: "It's probably someone's watch going off."
T: "I don't think." (interrupted)
Eli: Tess Harding?
T: "Yes, sir?"
Eli: "Are you interested in Earth?"
T: "What? Yes. I live here. Of course, I'm interested."
Eli: "Just checking, Tess. Just checking."
(The class giggles.)

(Time lapses. The bell rings and Max starts toward the door.)

Kyle: "Hey Max. How's it going?" (Liz is still sitting beside him trying to look calm.)
Max: "Tolerable. How have you been?"
(Looking at Liz)
Kyle: "I'm feeling great. Dad and I spent most of the summer camping out around the Rim of the Canyon. It was pretty cool."
Max: "That sound like a good summer. Hey look, sorry, but I have to run. Pre-cal next."
(He turns to go.)
Kyle: "Hey Max?"
Max: "Yeah?"
Kyle: "I just wanted to say thanks. For everything. You're not , well, you're not as bad as I thought."
Max: "You're welcome, Kyle."

(On his way out the door Maria is standing there waiting for Liz.) Max: "Hey Maria."
Maria: "Whatever."
Max: "How have you been?"
Maria: "Super. Great. Peachy keen."
Max: "I know this summer has been hard on all of us. But I just wanted to make sure you and Liz were doing okay."
Maria: "Me and Liz? We're doing just fine. We had a terrific summer without any Czechoslovakians around to screw up our lives. It's going to be a great year."
(She smiles. Max turns and walks away, and she takes out her smelling oil and breathes deep.) "Yep. It's going to be a great year all right. A great big pain in my.."

Scene 7

(After school, Maria walks into the Crashdown to pick up her check. Michael is talking to Mr. Parker.)
Mr. P: "Hi Maria. Your check is on the back desk. Don't spend it all in one place."
Maria: "Thanks." (Walking toward the back)
Mr. P: "Michael is going to take his old job back since Javier is leaving. Isn't that great?"
Maria: "Oh yea!" (NOT excited)
Mr. P: "Actually, Maria, I have to go find the forms Michael has to fill out, I'll grab your check and bring it out, if you'll just hang out here for a minute." (He exits.)
Maria: "Gee, thanks." (To the swinging door, where Mr. P has disappeared.)
M: "Hey."
Maria: "Umf." (grunt)
M: "Look. I have to have a job to pay the rent at my place. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here."
Maria: "You could always earn money in a freak show."
M: "I guess I deserved that."
Maria: "Oh, don't get me started on what you deserve, Michael! I didn't deserve to be treated like a nuisance in the way of you and your destiny. But that's how you left things. So forgive me if I can't get excited about the prospect of seeing you here everyday. Cause I'm just not there yet.
M: "It wasn't like that Maria. There were extenuating circumstances that weren't there before. Like I killed a guy. And I don't trust myself with you. So cut me some slack. It's not always about you. (Mr. Parker returns.)
Mr. P: "Here you go. Enjoy your few days off Maria. I'm already counting the days until you're back on the schedule."
Maria: "Thanks."
M: "See you around."
Maria: "Yeah, see ya."

Scene 8

Two settings. Cut back and forth between Michael's apartment with the aliens and Liz's room with the humans (Liz, Alex, Maria & Kyle).

M: So Maxwell, what's the plan this time?
****
Maria: So Liz, what do you suggest we do now?
****
Max: I don't know. It just seems like everything is back to normal now. Since Valenti knows and Nasadeo is running interference with the FBI, I think we can lay low for a while.
****
Liz: I think we just lay low. Act normal.
****
M: That's brilliant Max. How long did it take to think up that plan?
Is: For a change, Michael's right. You heard what our mother said. There are others. Dangerous aliens. We should really do something.
****
Maria: So normal for you is going to be mopey, lovelorn Liz? Great plan. No one will suspect a thing.

Alex: You know Maria has a point. You haven't been yourself. People are going to wonder what has gotten into you. There'll be questions.
****
Tess: Max, what about that beeping sound I've been hearing. Maybe it's someone trying to contact us. But I don't get why I'm the only one that hears it. What's happening? I'm getting a little freaked here guys.
****
Kyle: Um Liz? Things aren't normal on this end either. Um, you know that glowy hand print thing I had when Max saved me? Um. It's back. Maybe this is normal for you guys, but I'm starting to get a little freaked.

(Everyone looks at each other not knowing what to do)

Scene 9

(Flashes to everyone. Liz is writing in her journal. Max is lying awake in bed. Michael is staring at the TV. Isabel has a fashion magazine she's flipping through. Alex is strumming his bass. Maria is lighting incense in her room. Kyle and his dad are watching Sports Center and laughing. )
September 25, 2000

Destiny is a weird thing. It sets an inevitable path that you must take - no matter how much you don't want to. And what makes it even harder is realizing that everyone's destiny is tied up together in one big knotted ball of yarn. I just hope things don't come unraveled .cause it's a terrible thing when destiny takes an unexpected turn.

(She is looking at the glow print on her stomach in the mirror.)
Scene 10: (A mouth speaks into a telephone receiver.)
Voice: "They're here. Send in the troops."

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.