Fanfic - Unconventional Couples
"Regrets"
Part 1
by Carly
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters.
Summary: After a car accident, Kyle begins to regret what he did that night, and what he didn't do at all.
Category: Unconventional Couples
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: Alternative ending to "Tale of Two Parties", Kyle's point of view
The sounds were awful. All the 'beeping' and talking and whispering and crying. The sights were pretty horrific, too. The smells, though, got to me the worst. There were so many - plastic, latex, antibacterial soap, body odor and anesthetic, and they didn't combine well. I seemed to smell something new with every breath.

Behind me I inhaled the strong perfume of an elderly man's wife. He was 82, with pneumonia, and his wife never left his side. I heard his chart read twice now. Over to the left there was a 33 year old mother recovering from hernia surgery. I could actually smell the gauze and bandages that were changed every so often. In front of me was a 19 year old female who was involved in a car accident. She didn't contribute a smell, though. The only thing I could smell while looking at her was my own guilt.

I wanted to look at her again. I grabbed my abdomen and grimaced with slight pain as I turned in my chair to face her. My stomach was still tender. The seat belt had dug into my side, and some glass scratched my face, but I was fine. It didn't seem fair - I was driving the car, I broke the law, and Isabel was reaping the consequences.

I held her hand. She was intubated, pale and lifeless, but still so incredibly divine. I had talked to her some, she didn't respond of course, but the nurse said she might be able to hear me. I talked to her again.

"Isabel," I whispered huskily. I cleared my throat, but my voice still cracked. "Oh, Isabel. I'm so sorry. Please stay with us - if anything ever happened to you...I don't think I could live with myself."

The speaker in the nurses' station buzzed.

"This is Jesse Ramirez." I strained to hear. "My wife, Isabel Ramirez is here. Could I see her, please?"

"Sure," the nurse buzzed softly back.

I turned and watched the automatic doors being unlocked and opened, and Jesse walk in. I watched him roll up the sleeves of his oxford to wash his hands, like everyone who entered the ICU had to do. Jesse turned away from the sink, and I watched his eyes search for Isabel. I saw the worry in his eyes, and the horror in his face as he walked over. I caused his worry and horror.

It was going to be an awkward situation. I stood up and greeted Jesse when he reached the bed.

"Oh, hey Jesse," I offered.

"How is she?" asked he, completely ignoring my statement.

"Well, uh. Her lung collapsed - but they fixed that. She's still not breathing on her own, and her liver isn't responding well to the trauma," I explained.

"Isabel," Jesse breathed, looking longingly over his wife. Then he faced me, and he wasn't so loving. "What happened?"

"We were at an intersection," I started slowly. "It was late, and I needed to get home -"

"You were driving?" Jesse inquired. "You ran a red light?"

"It had just turned red -" I argued.

"And of course the other car would have had to hit the passenger side," Jesse said bitterly.

"I'm sorry," I told him. "I wish I could change things."

"Oh, glory be to Kyle," Jesse snapped sarcastically as he sat by Isabel's side. "You could have killed her!"

"I know that!" I shot back quietly, yet full of anger. "Don't you think I know that? Don't you think I'm regretting what I did? Don't you think I wish it was me instead? Jesse. I know that."

"Have you called her parents yet?" Jesse asked a bit more calmly.

"No. Uh, no, I guess I didn't think to," I admitted. "I called you first. Well, left a message for you first, and I-"

"Why don't you go call them?" interrupted Jesse as he stroked Isabel's cheek. "I'm sure there's a phone in the waiting room."

"Right. Of course." I could take a hint. Jesse didn't want me around him. He didn't want me around Isabel. I understood - but I didn't want to leave her. I had been with her since this started, and I didn't want to leave her. I walked away from Isabel and Jesse, stopping to see a collage of pictures and "Get Well" cards above another young woman's bed.

My mind trailed off. I thought about how things could have been different. Not just tonight, but the last few months. I wondered what I could have changed. I imagined my life being different. I pictured Isabel as more than a friend.

A discouraged sigh escaped me. "Get well, Isabel," I whispered. I left the ICU to call her parents.

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.