FanFic - Unconventional Pairings
"The Palace"
Part 2
by Andaluchia
Disclaimer: You already know they don't belong to me. Just the plot!
Summary: Don't really know. Just going along.
Category: Unconventional Pairings
Rating: PG
Max sluggishly walked towards the door. On his way he glanced at the clock, Four-Thirty a.m. Who could it be? He thought to himself. "Who is it?" He called through the door. He waited for an answer. Then he heard her small nervous voice. "Max?" She squeaked. "It's Maria." Max immediately opened the door and saw Maria standing there totally drenched. "What happened?" Max asked with shock. Maria shivered. Max moved so that she could come in. "It was raining." She answered. Max ran to get her some towels. He quickly wrapped them around her. "What are you doing walking in the rain?" He asked. Maria's lips were shaking. "Michael and I had a fight. He didn't want to leave so I left." She answered, her voice quivering. "He let you walk in the rain?" He asked with shock. Maria shook her head. "My God, you could get really sick. Come on." He grabbed her hand and pulled her deeper into his apartment. He closed the door and then went to turn the heater on. "Maria, go take a warm shower. I'm going to make some tea for you. Let's hope you don't get sick." He said with a hint of anger in his voice. How could Michael let her walk in the rain like that? "OK," Maria said. She walked towards the bathroom. "Throw your clothes out so I can put them in the dryer. You can wear one of my boxers and T-shirt to bed." He told her. "OK," She said again and walked into the bathroom closing the door behind her. She quickly peeled off her clothes. A soft knock on the door startled her. "Yeah?" "Maria, I put some dry clothes here on the floor next to the door. I'm going to go finish making the tea. Just go ahead and grab them and put your clothes out here." He instructed. "OK." She said through the door. She heard Max walk away. She opened the door a crack and saw the clothes on the floor. She quickly traded the wet clothes for the dry clothes. After she was done taking a shower she changed into Max's clothes. They were a little big on her, but comfortable. She then walked out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. Max was pouring the tea into a cup. "Here you go." He said handing it to her. "Make sure you drink it all. I don't want you to get sick." He added. Maria nodded and began drinking the tea. Max drank some tea with her. Maria could tell he was upset. "Max, it's OK." She said to him. "What?" He asked. "You don't have to be angry. What's happening between Michael and I is not your fault. So, you don't have to be angry about it." She informed him. He gently placed his cup of tea down. "Maria, how could I not be angry? I know you're assuming it's because Michael is my friend, but it's not that." He told her. "Then what is it?" She asked. "It's because you're my friend, too. And I don't want you to get hurt." He said to her. "I just know how Michael can be sometimes." He added. He looked up at her and noticed a small bruise on her arm. "'He's never..." Maria noticed him looking at the bruise. "Oh no, I got this when I ran into one of the metal racks of clothes at the store." She said. Max eyed her suspiciously. "I swear." She emphasized. She sighed. "Are you sure?" He asked. "Max, Michael's a lot of things, but he's not a hitter. He'd break every thing in the room before he hit me. Trust me." She said and she knew he believed her. "Just making sure. Because you know, Michael can take care of himself--" "Oh and I can't?" Maria asked a little offended. "Oh, no no. I didn't mean it like that. It's just that...It's just that...I have to make sure you're all right." He said to her. Maria smiled. "I know. It's all good." She said with a smile. Max smiled at her. They finally finished there tea. "You take the bed. I'll take the floor." Max said. "Are you sure?" She asked. Max nodded. "By all means." He said. "OK." Maria said and climbed onto the bed. Max gently pulled out the sleeping bag and laid down. Maria tossed him a pillow. "Thanks." He said. "Noooo problem." Maria said in a sing song voice. They both lay there quietly staring up at the ceiling for a few minutes. Maria finally broke the silence. "Max, you awake?" She asked. "Uh huh," he replied. Maria leaned over the edge of the bed and looked down on him. "Do you ever think about Liz?" She asked. Max was quiet for a few seconds before he answered her. "I think about her everyday." He answered. "Me too." Maria said. "I wonder what she would think of me being an actress. I wonder if she would have been the scientist that she wanted to be." She said. "Liz was too dedicated. She would have achieved all her goals." Max said. "I think so too." Maria said to him. "I think she would think that you are a great actress." Max added. Maria smiled and laughed lightly. "Kiss up." She joked. They both laughed. "I'm telling the truth." Max said. He became serious and looked at her. "Really, I am. One day you're going to be some big movie star and I'm going to have to beg you to be in one of my plays." He said to her honestly. Maria shook her head. "You will not have to beg me. I'd drop working with any movie star to be in one of your plays." She said honestly. Max smiled at her. "You'd even give up working with Freddie Prinze Jr.?" He poked fun at Maria's love for the actor. Maria rolled her eyes. "Now that, I'm not sure of." She joked. "Hey Max, what's your favorite movie?" She asked out of nowhere. "What brought on this sudden urge to interview me?" He asked with a chuckle. Maria shrugged. "Nothing, it's just that I want to know. Besides, look at it this way you can practice for when you become a famous director and everyone wants to know." She said. Max chuckled. "Yes, Oprah." He joked. Maria laughed. "Shutup! If I were Oprah I'd say something like 'Max, how does it feel being an alien? Have you ever thought about killing yourself?'" She imitated Oprah. They both laughed. "Plus, she'd probably flirt with you a little too." She said. "Think so?" Max asked. Maria shook her head. "Yes. She probably wouldn't be able to get over your cute ears!" Maria proclaimed happily. They both laughed. Max looked up at her. "You think my ears are cute?" He asked with a smile. Maria couldn't contain her laughter. "How could I not?" She exclaimed. "'Dumbo' was my favorite movie when I was little." She said and they both laughed hysterically. "I do NOT look like Dumbo!" Max said trying to sound offended, but it didn't work and he doubled over in laughter. "Hey, you got something against Dumbo?" Maria asked. They both continued to laugh. "No, but that's an insult." He said. Maria's mouth dropped. "What?! That was a compliment. Dumbo was the cutest animal!" She said. "OK. But, I'm not an animal." He pointed out. "I'm an alien." He added. They both laughed some more. "OK, fine. Your ears are cute like E.T.'s!" She said. Max rolled his eyes. "You're impossible." He said through laughter. Maria rolled over on her back and looked up at the ceiling. "Max, let's do something tomorrow." She said. "Tomorrow? Don't you mean today?" He asked. "Yeah, I mean today. Let's do something today." "Like what?" He asked. She rolled back over to the edge of the bed and looked down at him again. "Let's go dancing at the Palace." She said. He smiled at her. "I haven't danced with anyone in a LONG time. I don't know if I'll remember." He said only half serious. "Oh please, I'll show yah. So, The Palace? Tomorrow?" She asked. "OK, yeah. Now, go to sleep." He said to her. "OK," She replied and curled herself under the blanket. Then she remembered, "Max, you never answered my question. What is your favorite movie?" She asked. Max sighed. "This is going to be a long night." He mumbled.

When Isabel saw them enter the room together she jumped up and down and kept patting Alex on the back. "Hey, stop! What is wrong with you?" He asked her. Isabel turned Alex's body to look at them. "Look! There here together!" She said happily. Alex rolled his eyes and sighed. "Isabel, they've been friends for six years! They've gone places together. What makes you think that just because they came here tonight that they are here 'together'?" He asked her. "I don't know. But, I can tell that something between them is growing." Alex rolled his eyes again. "It's small! But, it's growing. I know it!" She said. "'Don't you even care how Michael is going to feel about this?" Alex asked. Isabel rolled his eyes. "Oh, please! Michael has been doing the on and off thing for years! It's time Maria finds someone who will be there all the time. Same with Max. They are perfect for each other." Isabel answered. "Michael loves Maria." Alex pointed out. Isabel rolled her eyes again. "Yeah, well Michael also loves Tabasco Sauce." She said. "Isabel, you know what I mean." "Yes, I do. But, still I don't know what it is. I just know there is something there." Isabel said happily.

"Maria, this is silly." Max said with laughter as they danced to 'What is Love' by Haddaway. Maria kept trying to get him to do the Roxbury head bounce. "Come on, Max. Look, watch me." She said and began to imitate the Roxbury brothers. Max couldn't help but laugh. "What?" Maria asked honestly. They both laughed together. "You just look silly." He said. "Duh! It supposed to be stupid." She replied. "Well, then why are we doing it?" Max asked. "Because, it's fun to act stupid." She answered. They both laughed and continued to imitate the Roxbury brothers. Maria and Max danced and laughed for hours. Isabel and Alex stood by the side and watched. "I guess you're right. They look great together." Alex had to admit. "I told you, but you didn't want to believe me." She replied. "Now, for a little push." Isabel mumbled and closed her eyes. She gently and slowly went into Max's mind. She didn't cautiously so he wouldn't know she was there. -Kiss her.- She said into his thoughts. -Kiss her.- She said again. She opened her eyes and saw Max. He stopped dancing and was now looking at Maria. "What's wrong, Max?" Maria asked with a worried look on her face. Max looked confused. "Nothing," he breathed. He gently put his hands on her face and pulled her to him. "Max?" Maria said. She wasn't sure about what was happening. She didn't think she was supposed to like it, but butterflies flew around in her stomach. Max gently kissed her on the lips.

"YES!" Isabel said happily. "Well, I guess you were right." Alex said. Isabel wore a secretive smile. "Ohmigosh, you did something didn't you." Isabel didn't answer. "Isabel!" "What! I didn't MAKE him kiss her. I just gave him the idea. Trust me he would have eventually gotten the idea anyway." She proclaimed. Alex shook his head in shame. "You're something else." Alex said. Isabel was about to reply when her eyes widened. "Isabel, what is it?" Alex asked. Isabel pointed and Alex turned to look. "Michael's here."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 1 | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.