FanFic - Max/Liz
"Change"
Part 18
by Anne
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters (except Wendy--she's mine). I have no affiliation with the WB television network or the author, Melinda Metz
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
And her eyes are screaming,
and her lips are pursed.
And this ain't her first heartache,
but it feels like, it feels like the worst
And she says, Can someone tell me how this can happen?
And I guess that God only knows . . .
My heart, used to be the sweet shop of love,
but now the sign on the door, says we're sorry,
we're closed . . . . . .

Wendy forced herself up off the floor and made her way to the telephone. She called information and asked for Max's number. She dialed it, and waited in agony for someone to pick up. Liz answered and Wendy asked if she could speak to Max. He came on the line, and she couldn't even talk to him. She was crying so hard now there was no stopping it. Max asked if she was at the apartment and she managed to at least tell him that she was. He said he was on his way and hung up. Wendy replaced the phone and sat down to wait.

Half an hour later, Max and Liz walked in without preamble. Wendy had stopped crying, but the desolation she felt inside made it impossible for her say anything to them. She looked up at them with eyes that revealed so much pain and fear. Liz walked over and sat down beside her. After a moment, Wendy felt Liz put her arms around her and she broke inside all over again. Liz bit her lip to keep from crying herself. She could feel how much Wendy was hurting and it broke her heart. After a little while, Wendy got control of her emotions enough to attempt an explanation.

Wendy: "He was here."

Max: "Who was here?"

Wendy: "My guardian. Kyle came over while he was still here and he attacked him."

Max (shocked): "Why would he attack him?"

Wendy: "Max, I don't think he's rational. He wanted me to come back with him and I refused. He was angry, and then Kyle came in, and . . . " (she struggled and lost the fight with her emotions)

Liz held her while she cried and watched Max as he began to restlessly prowl around the apartment. To say that his expression was grim would be a terrible understatement. Wendy quieted down again and apologized to them both for losing control.

Liz: "It's o.k., Wendy. Take your time." "We understand."

Max: "I think maybe we should call Michael and Isabel and get them over here.

Wendy: "If that's what you think we should do, it's o.k. with me, but first, I need to tell you the rest."

Max: "There's more?" (sitting down now because he needed to)

Wendy: "I had to do something, Max. He would've killed Kyle. I had to . . . "

Max: "You had to what?"

Wendy: "I used everything I've ever learned about my powers and I faught back for Kyle." "Max, he saw what I did. He watched the whole thing.

Max: (feeling sick) "And then what?"

Wendy: "He left. He didn't say one word to me. He just got up and left." "I don't know what he'll do."

Max: "Where's your guardian?"

Wendy: "I don't know. He was there, and then he was gone. Just like that."

Max: "Is he . . .?"

Wendy: "No. He's not dead. I would know if he were. I can still feel him."

Liz: "I'll call and see if Maria and Michael are home yet. Max, do you want me to call Isabel, too?"

Max: "Yeah. She's probably at Alex's anyway."

Liz got up and went to the phone and wondered if their lives would ever slow down long enough for her to know her own name.

--------------------------------

The seven of them sat facing one another trying to take in all that had happened. Isabel felt as if a lightning bolt had seared across the sky and split the world in half. One moment she had been happy and relatively secure, and in the very next instant, with just a few words, her whole life changed. All weekend she and Alex had been making plans to spend their first night together, and now . . . . she just hoped they lived long enough for her to see tomorrow. Suddenly, there was another alien . . . a sister . . . and still yet one more demented guardian.

Maria sat on Michael's lap, where she spent most of her time these days, and stared at the wall, waiting for Glenda and the munchkins to show up and Dorothy and Toto to go skipping down the yellow brick road. She wrapped her arms around Michael and held him to her, hardly able to believe what had happened. If Kyle, knew about Wendy, how long would it be before all of them were discovered? They'd been married less than a week, and now this? She was frustrated. She wanted to cry, and cuss, and kick something that preferrably wouldn't kick back.

Max: "Maybe it's not as bad as we think. If he hit his head hard enough, he might not be sure what he saw."

Wendy: (hugging herself to stop the shivering) "I don't think so, Max. It was the way he looked at me when he left . . . "

In spite of the fear that all of them were feeling, every member of the group felt for Wendy and ached for how much she was suffering. It was painfully obvious, even though she hadn't said so, that she was in love with Kyle.

Max: "The thing is, that even if he does know what he saw, there's nothing we can do about it."

Liz: (who had been quiet and distracted for a while now) "I don't think we need to worry about this."

Max looked at her and wondered what she meant, but reserved judgment having learned to pay attention to her 'feelings.' Isabel and Maria looked at her with something suspiciously close to hope. Wendy was so distraught she didn't even look up. Michael and Alex looked at her askance.

Alex: "What are you talking about, Liz? Of course, we need to worry."

Michael: "For once, I agree with you." (to Alex)

Alex tossed a withering glance in Michael's direction, and then turned his attention back to Liz.

Liz: (sighing in frustration) "If you're looking for proof, I don't have any. I just know. Kyle's not going to say anything to anyone about this."

Kyle (stepping quietly inside) "You're right, Liz. I'm not going to say anything, because I don't know what the hell I saw or how I would even begin to tell someone about it."

Liz: "Kyle . . . . "

Wendy was so shocked she couldn't even speak. No one else seemed to know what to say either.

Kyle: "I guess I should be surprised to see all of you here, but somehow I'm not. Almost the exact same group from Texas, huh, Liz?" (casting a look in Wendy's direction and feeling an awful ache inside but hiding it) "Except for one or two that is." (glancing at Alex) "Don't you think it's about time you tell me what the hell is going on?"

Liz: (losing patience) "Sit down, Kyle, and join us." (She gave him a penetrating stare that made him very uncomfortable)

Kyle: "Liz?" (He was actually starting to feel a little afraid . . . ridiculous! She was the tiniest person in the room, but still . . . )

Liz: "What do you want to know, Kyle?" (her voice fairly oozed menace and Kyle felt another frisson of fear trip along his already on-edge nerves)

Max almost laughed out loud watching Liz intimidate Kyle, but he was starting to feel a little sorry for him because he was so over matched.

Kyle made a valiant effort to shake off the unreasonable panic he was feeling. He gave himself a mental shake and organized his thoughts.

Kyle: "For starters, I want to know why that man tried to kill me and I want to know how Wendy (he couldn't even look at her) stopped him."

Liz: "What else?"

Kyle: "What do you mean?"

Liz: "What else do you want to know?"

Kyle: "I want to know what the six, no make that seven (still not looking at Wendy) of you are hiding."

Liz: (sitting back and contemplating Kyle in such a way that he shifted uncomfortably in his chair) "I'm not going to tell you all of this for free Kyle. Are you willing to pay the price?"

Kyle: "What are you talking about?" (distinctly uneasy)

Liz: "Your silence."

Kyle: "This is starting to sound like, 'I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you'."

Liz: (exuding a dangerous confidence that was making itself felt) "Kyle, I'm going to tell you what you want to know, but you need to understand one thing. I will cheerfully kill you in cold blood if you threaten the life of my child."

Kyle rocked back in his seat wondering who the hell he was talking to. This was not the girl that he had grown up with. This wasn't even the same girl he had danced with Friday night. Maria watched Liz with a curious expression, but didn't even flinch at the death threat because she knew exactly how Liz felt. Isabel silently prayed that Liz would be able to control this situation and that it wouldn't blow up in their faces. Max hoped she never decided that he needed to be taken down a peg or two. Of course, there were other ways she could get to him. Michael and Alex were almost as stunned as Kyle. Wendy could only sit and stare, feeling like she was about to witness a train wreck and there was nothing she could do to stop it. In fact, it had already happened. There was nothing left to do now but pick up the broken pieces.

---------------------------------------

Alex took Isabel home after the unveiling of their secret. His mind was reeling from all that had happened in the short time since Liz had called them tonight. He couldn't believe that Kyle Valenti was now privvy to the same information as the rest of them. The sheriff's son! Of all the bazzar twists of fate . . . . . . .

Isabel: "Alex?"

Alex: "Yeah?"

Isabel: "I'm not ready to go home yet. Can I stay with you for a little while?"

Alex: "Yeah. Of course. We'll go back to my house."

Isabel: "Thanks, Alex." "I don't want to be alone right now."

Alex: "I understand." (squeezing her hand and trying to reassure her but not feeling too steady himself)

-------------------------------------------

Michael and Maria had left at the same time as Alex and Isabel. They had just walked in the door shortly before Liz had called tonight. They were both exhausted physically and emotionally, too, now. Michael was very worried about this thing with Valenti. Although, he had to admit, Liz was downright scary. He had to smile a little bit at the memory of watching her put Kyle through it. At first, Kyle hadn't believed her. It took some doing, but Liz had persevered and finally he had accepted what she was telling him as the truth. He could almost feel sorry for the poor slob. Must've been one hell of a shock.

Michael: "What was up with Liz tonight?"

Maria: "I don't know, but I liked it. I'm going to call her tomorrow and find out where I can get some of whatever it was."

Michael: "No you are not."

Maria: "Oh, so what? You think you're the boss now?"

Michael: "Yes, I do."

Michael was not gratified to hear Maria laughing hysterically the rest of the way home. By the time they arrived, she had tears running down her face from laughing so hard. They walked in the front door and Michael pulled her up against him and her laughter quickly faded as he brought his mouth down on hers. She relaxed into his embrace and opened her mouth, sighing and wondering if this would ever change. She just couldn't ever get enough of this. It was the sweetest thing . . . .

---------------------------------------

Max was reluctant to leave Wendy alone with Kyle, but Liz finally convinced him that they needed to go and let them sort it out for themselves. Liz hugged Wendy and whispered to her that everything would work out. Maybe not tonight, but eventually. Wendy looked at her and let herself hope that Liz was right. She was so grateful for Max and Liz. Just knowing that they were there helped so much. The others were still so new to her and the circumstances were so different surrounding meeting them that she didn't feel as connected to them as she did to Max and Liz.

Liz: "Why don't you come out and have dinner with us tomorrow night, Wendy?" "Max can bring you out after work and we'll take you home later."

Wendy: "Thanks, Liz. I'd love to, but maybe not tomorrow night. I don't think I could . . . ."

Liz: "O.k. I understand. Soon, though." Wendy: "Alright."

Liz (turning toward Kyle): "I'm sorry, Kyle. I'm sorry this is so hard for you." (She looked like she wanted to say more, but thought better of it) Max left glaring a warning at Kyle who was still so shocked he didn't even pay attention. As they walked to the jeep, Max noticed how subdued Liz seemed to be. He was holding her hand and he could feel the tension in her. It had been a really long, difficult evening. In fact, the past couple of days had been like a rollercoaster ride.

Max: "Liz. Stop a second."

She did and turned toward him with a questioning look on her face. He pulled her close and hugged her. She listened to his heart beating under her ear where it lay against his chest. She could feel him telling her everything would be o.k. The words were quiet little whispers in her mind that she couldn't quite make out, but it didn't matter. Just the rumble of his voice in her head was an indescribable comfort. She took a deep breath and felt some of the tension leave her body. It was quickly followed by exhaustion. She sagged against him and Max picked her up and carried her the rest of the way to the jeep. He couldn't help chuckling at her. He knew she was just tired and wasn't worried about anything serious being wrong.

Max: "It's a good thing Kyle can't see you now, or all your fine work would go down in flames."

Liz: "Are you making fun of me, Max Evans?"

Max: (still chuckling) "I wouldn't dare. I've seen you in action." Liz "It's not like I turned him into a toad."

Max: (smiling) "No you didn't. I think the threat was enough."

Liz: "Are you implying that I'm a witch . . . . ?"

Max: "Not at all. Supernatural, only purported to exist in myths, rituals involving daggars, . . . . . Why would I imply that?"

Liz: (mumbling and fading fast) "You are making fun of me. Better watch out. I might turn you into a prince."

Max: (laughing) "You little smart ass." (looking down into her smiling face)

He sat her down in the seat and made her as comfortable as possible. She was sound asleep before he got in on the other side. He leaned over and kissed her lightly and tucked her hair behind her ear so he could see her face better.

Max (whispering) . . . I love you, Liz."

--------------------------------------------

Wendy sat watching Kyle as he sat trying to wrestle his thoughts into something he could live with. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't grasp what Liz had said. If he hadn't seen Wendy use her powers with his own eyes, he would have never believed any of this. But he did see it. He forced himself to focus and finally looked at her. Her face, for all the tears she had shed, was still so beautiful. He supposed he should thank her for saving his life, but he couldn't find any words. He hated this helpless feeling.

Wendy: (pain tightening her voice to a strained whisper) "Are you alright, Kyle?"

Kyle: (taking a deep breath and shrugging) "I have no idea."

Wendy: "I'm so sorry . . . "

Kyle: "For what? Saving my life? Thank you for that, by the way."

Wendy: "For not being able to tell you who I was when I first met you."

Kyle: "Yeah . . . well, I guess I understand why you didn't. After all, people I've known a helluva lot longer than you have been keeping this a secret for years." "I can even understand that."

Wendy: "I'm glad."

Kyle: (sighing and getting up from his seat) "Look . . . Wendy, you don't have to worry about me telling anyone about you. I won't."

Wendy: "Thank you."

Kyle: (under his breath) "Who would believe me anyway?"

Wendy: "What?"

Kyle: "Nothing. "I'm going to get going now." "Will you be alright? He won't come back will he?" Wendy (sadly because he's leaving and she knows what that means but trying to make it easier for him) "I don't think so." "Don't worry about it."

Kyle: (knowing he wasn't saying what she wanted to hear but not able to comfort her) "I know that the others have all manged to build relationships and that they're working, but I'd be lying if I said that I was ready for that right now. I'm sorry, Wendy."

Wendy (eyes filling with tears but she blinked them back): "I understand, Kyle." (wondering how much longer she could keep from crying) "Maybe you should go."

Kyle: (feeling so guilty for hurting her) "I'm sorry."

Kyle turned and walked out and Wendy, whispered, "Bye, Kyle," as the door closed behind him.

And we all talk about timing and lifestyles and such,
But to a heart that's been shattered,
those words don't mean much . . .
And for all of our pining,
it just goes to show,
Don't you enter a shop
With the sign on the door,
Saying, we're sorry we're closed.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 19
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.