Fanfic - Max/Liz
"A Present Unseen"
Part 55
by Meagzie
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am nothing but a lowly servant of my computer and endless hours of fanfic. (Ok, maybe not.) Ooo, but I do own Adam. Mine. Mine mine mine.
Summary: It's about two years after A Past Forgotten. Graduation is just around the corner, but so is trouble.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Author's Note: Ok, I know I say this a lot and I talk too much as it is, but FEEDBACK. I need it... it keeps my blood pumping and my fingers typing. Please? Love you guys!
“I just feel so unwanted,” Isabel sighed, leaning against Maria’s shoulder. Maria placed a sympathetic arm around Isabel’s shoulder, sighing with her.

Isabel, Maria and Liz sat on the hard, lumpy bed that rested in the midst of the impossibly grungy motel room. Just a few feet away, the door that connected Max and Liz’s motel room with Maria, Isabel and Michael’s room lay open with only the sounds of a hockey announcer echoing. Beyond the open door was Michael watching the medium sized television, fuzzy sound included.

“Trust me, I know the feeling, sister! Michael would marry his TV if it could give him blowjobs during a hockey game,” Maria grumbled.

Isabel and Liz traded glances, and then burst into a fit of giggles.

“That’s so gross, Maria,” Liz said between giggles. “He’s my brother, and touching him that way? Eww! I don’t know how, or even WHY you do it!”

“Hey, we ALL know you touch Max that way and he’s Isabel’s brother!” Maria exclaimed. Liz blushed furiously while Isabel gained a repulsed look on her face. “Got ya.” Maria smiled smugly.

Liz coughed, scratching her head with one hand. “Weren’t we talking about Isabel and Alex?”

“Yeah, sure, go on and change the subject, Lizzie,” Maria teased. Then she broke out into another fit of giggles, which eventually turned into a giant, shimmering smile. “I can’t remember the last time we did this. I miss you, girlies! Group hug!”

The three girls pulled together and embraced each other affectionately. Only rare occasions could they all open up like this and be with each other in the real, friend way. Girls just chatting about boys, life and other complicated happenings without letting any alien problems interrupt them. In truth, it was ironic, considering they were trying to escape their alien troubles all the while being in the middle of an alien undercover mission to save their lives. But yet, the girl time continued.

“You know, it’s not often our Izzy takes the time to let down her walls and spend some girlfriend time with us!” Maria ribbed. Isabel decided to ignore the comment with a slight wave of her hand.

“Speaking of walls,” Isabel inserted, “That Sandy girl is a real brick.” The slight upturn of Isabel’s nose indicated her dislike for the girl

“I think she’s just… lost,” Liz stated honestly. “She’s been through a lot in her life, and she’s had little time to deal with it all.” Liz twirled a long strand of her around her finger. Liz really did think Sandy was a nice girl, she just needed something or someone to help her open up.

“But she doesn’t have to be such an iceberg,” replied Maria, acquiring Isabel’s scornfulness. “You were being all nice to her, inviting her for some girl time with us, and all she did was sneer at you. Sounds like a bona-fide bitch to me. And I should know.” Maria gestured towards Isabel, causing Isabel to roll her eyes.

“Come on, guys, I’m not that big of a bitch,” Isabel protested. Maria snorted.

“You keep believing that, Ice Princes. Maybe one day your wish will come true when you click your heels together with your ruby red shoes that sparkle with alien pixie dust. Maybe if you suck off the big ol’ Wizard, he’ll help you and your Toto too.” Liz covered her mouth in fear Isabel would blow her top at Liz’s deafening laughter.

Isabel just scoffed. “You know, if I’m such a bitch, why am I sitting here with you two, giggling like a school girl?” Isabel placed her hands on her hips, giving the authentic Isabel signature. Bitch with an attitude.

“Just can’t resist the Deluca charm,” Maria replied coolly, giving Isabel a cocky grin. Isabel rolled her eyes again and playfully pushed Maria.

“Sandy would rather hang out with a bunch of guys rather than spend some girl time with us chicas. Just sounds odd to me,” Maria continued. She lay back on the bed, placing her hands behind her head in a relaxed position.

“It’s all she’s known though,” defended Liz. “Her whole life, it’s always been Ben, Owen and Adam. She probably doesn’t even know the meaning of girl time.”

“Personally, I don’t think I have the patience to show her the meaning,” Isabel returned frostily. “Besides, she’s in a room with Max, Ben, Kyle, Adam, and-” wrinkles her nose “-Alex. She can fend for herself. It’s her own choice to live that way.”

“Ouch, you’re freezing, Princess,” Maria joked. “But I agree, the offer was out on the table and she refused. Like everything else. If she hates being with us so much, then why keep coming back? It would be safer that way anyways, wouldn’t it?”

“Ben’s all she’s got left,” answered Liz. “And Ben wants to be here to catch up with Adam. So she follows. Besides, Ben is a great guy.” Liz shrugged her shoulders, as that was the only reasonable explanation she could conjure for Sandy’s reoccurrence.

“I like Ben. He’s fun. Real charmer once he opens up. My Benny poo.” Maria grinned.

“Haven’t had a full conversation with him yet,” Isabel added truthfully. “Seems like a nice enough guy. What do you think, Liz? You’ve spent the most time with him than anybody, other than-”

“They’ve got secrets.” Liz and Isabel both turned to look at Maria, both surprised by her unexpected outburst.

“He’s got a gentle soul, and she’s a bitch, but underneath they’re hiding something,” Maria carried on. “No clue as to what though.” Liz glanced upwards in thought, and then turned back to the girls.

“You’re right. They seem like they’re keeping something in.”

“Of course I’m right. It’s me, Maria Deluca. Truth extraordinaire.”

“Uh huh, whatever Maria,” Isabel countered. Liz stopped paying attention though. She swung her legs over the side of the bed and stood up. Advancing over to the small window that was situated on the wall at the back of the room, Liz gazed at the surroundings outside. Maria and Isabel’s chatter resonated in the background.

The moon had long fallen on them some time ago, allowing the sparkling stars to dance above them. Everything appeared so magical before her, a whole new world of love, laughter, hurt and tears. Somewhere out there stood a chance of hope in the world, to make it strong and pure. But in the distance, a tiny speck of bleakness was detectable by the trained eye and slowly approaching. She could feel the disparity and hurt that devoured the dark bleakness. It filled her from head to toe, and unloaded through her bones. Her heart felt uneasy and heavy.

Maria got up from where she was sitting and slowly crept towards where Liz was standing. Liz’s still posture was making Maria somewhat uneasy. She could sense a slight change in the air, and the emotions surrounding it. Maria placed a hand on Liz’s back, expecting her to be surprised but Liz didn’t even flinch.

“Can you feel it?” Liz asked, quietly. Her eyes stayed focused on the view before her.

“Feel what, sweetie?” Liz’s agitated tone alarmed Maria, but Maria kept the usual warmth in her own voice. She continued to let her hand rest on Liz’s back, urging Liz to continue.

“The darkness. I can feel it. It’s coming.” Liz’s eyes started to glass over and her still movements became eerie. Isabel was standing a few steps behind them now, hesitant about the sight before her. Liz looked… robotic, emotionless. She hadn’t moved at all since standing at the window.

“Michael,” Isabel called out, not moving away from Maria and Liz. “Michael, get in here.” Not more than a moment later, Michael came bounding into the room with an irritated look on his face. Until he witnessed Liz’s numb presence.

“What the hell,” Michael whispered fiercely, unable to produce a louder tone. His sister looked… drugged out.

“Lizzie bear?” Michael advanced towards Maria and Liz. Maria looked back at him with concerned eyes, unsure of what to do. Michael pressed on, taking long but slow steps towards her.

“Liz, look at me. Turn around and look at me.” Liz stayed still, her eyes still fixed on the outside background. “C’mon, Liz, pull away. Look at us, look at me, Lizzie bear.”

Liz obeyed this time, but her mechanical movements and her glazed over expression unnerved all three of them.

“I can feel it, can you? The darkness, the sorrow, the loneliness. It’s coming. Can’t you feel it? CAN’T YOU FEEL IT?” Liz’s shrill shout terrified each other to the bone. Such a drastic change in behavior within such a small time frame… This was definitely alien business.

“Maria, Isabel, go get Adam, Alex and Max.” Michael’s command was strict and refused any rebuttals. The two girls ran out the room and stormed down the motel to find Max and Adam.

Michael took another step forward and put a trembling hand on Liz’s arm, but she crumpled to her knees at the touch. Michael quickly withdrew his hand, his eyes getting more panicked by the second.

“Michael,” Liz wheezed. “Something is wrong. I-I can’t fight it.” Tears began to trickle down her cheeks. “Help me.” Liz slowly fell to her hands and knees. Michael sensed her true character slowly arising amidst the confusion and pain.

“Lizzie bear,” Michael responded, feeling himself drop to his knees in front of her. “Tell me what to do, I’ll do it. Anything. Let me help you. Please, Liz.” His own salty tears began to collapse down his face. “Fight it, Liz. I’m right here to help you.”

“It’s so dark,” Liz whispered. “So dark…” She glanced up at Michael with her red eyes, pleading for help, but Michael was clueless as to what to do.

“LIZ!” Max’s shout disrupted Michael’s intense concentration on his sister. Adam, Maria and Isabel followed behind him, all distraught by the scene unfolding. Michael’s body collapsed on the ground, his eyes slowly lolling closed.

“Michael!” Maria screeched. She flung to his side, shaking his body in an attempt to stir him.

Get out, everyone, get out… Liz’s tired, distant voice called out in their minds. I’m… something in me is draining the energy in the room. Get out.

“No, Liz,” Max responded solidly. “We’re not leaving without you.” He slowly walked towards her, but he could feel his existence starting to dwindle away from his fingers with every step. Instantly a glowing shield appeared right in front of his face. He whipped his head around to find Adam with his hand outstretched, projecting the shield.

“Adam,” Max growled. “Put the shield down.”

“Max, if we all lose our energy we won’t be able to help her anyways.” Adam stood in a daring stance, unwilling to change his mind.

Max let out a loud roar. “Can’t you see that it’s draining her energy too? It’ll kill her.” Maria and Adam both shook their heads in disagreement.

“No, it won’t,” Maria interjected. “Khivar wouldn’t kill her.”

“Khivar?” Isabel asked, with wide eyes of fear. “How do you know it’s him? Is he here?”

“He’s near,” Maria responded, closing her eyes in concentration. “I can feel his presence.”

“Ah, I always thought you were the smart one, Hansha.” The group turned to see Alex entering the room, with an arrogant smirk on his face. “The brains of the operation, no doubt.” Alex closed the door, and waved his hand over the locks, each emitting a small, glow before being sealed.

They all looked on in horror.

“Khivar,” Maria whispered fearfully. Alex let another smirk bestow his face.

“That would be me, and I’d like to welcome you all to the opening act. Let’s all hope you stay pass the first scene.”

Part 54 | Index | Part 56
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.