FanFic - Max/Liz
"The Return"
Part 1
by Anunaki
Disclaimer: I did not create or own any part of Roswell.
Summary: Sequel to August and Everything After. Five years later the aliens return to pick up the pieces.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: I would welcome critique or commentary.
Max looked up at the darkening purple sky. The stars twinkled brightly, giving him the same feeling of unease they always did. Every time he looked up at them he felt like he was in some Twilight Zone episode, the main character stumbling around while the clues are all around him that something is not quite how it should be. He'd never been much of an astronomer, but he could tell these stars were different places than the stars he'd grown up with.

He heard footsteps on the balcony behind him. He knew who it was without even looking. Only one person seemed to be determined not to let Max be alone for too long, determined not to let him think too much in case he might come to the decision he was coming to now. Michael stood next to him as they watched the strange glow come up from the city spread out in front of them. As he took in the view he said the words he knew Michael was dreading to hear.

"I think it's time to go home."

Max could sense his best friend's dismay. "I thought that this was supposed to be home."

"Maybe it's supposed to be. But it's not, is it? Even after being here for five years, earth is still home."

"And what about being a leader to your people?"

"My people? Come on, Michael." Max waved his hand in a gesture to indicate the city below. "These people aren't like you and me. We helped save their world, they would let us stay here for the rest of our lives, living like royalty. But when's the last time you walked through the streets down there? We don't look like them, we don't think like them. They are grateful to us, but we're not the same as them. We're clones. You know as well as I do what that means. I may carry some part of their murdered king in me, but it's not who I am. I'm human. I'm Max Evans, I grew up in Roswell, New Mexico, planet Earth. The war is over, I've done what I was destined to do. Now it's time to go home."

Michael stood in the doorway, watching Max and Isabel get the small belongings they had ready for the trip. The ship in the launch module behind them hummed faintly and periodically sent out a pulse that made the room vibrate. It surprised him to see them dressed in the clothes they were wearing when they had come here. He walked over to Isabel.

"Nice outfit."

Isabel glanced down at the jeans and tee shirt she was wearing. "I know, it looks so weird to see these clothes again after so long. This was a pretty classic look when we left, but who knows how things have changed after five years. At the least I will probably be hopelessly out of fashion. It's not like those things matter, we're not in high school anymore. "Isabel got the same wistful look she always got when talking about their childhood, then waved her hand as if to shoo it away. "Anyway, I can't show up in clothes made out of fiber that doesn't even exist on earth."

Michael gently stroked her face. "It has been a long time. Who knows what's happened since we've been gone. There might even still be enemies there that don't know the war is over. Are you sure you want to do this?"

Isabel took his hand and held it in her own. "I have to do this. I was finally able to tell my parents who I was when we left. I have to go back and explain to them why we had to leave."

"They were still in shock when we left. How do you know they'll even talk to you?"

Isabel sadly shook her head. "I don't. But they are still my family. I miss them. I have to try."

Max walked over and put his arm around Isabel as she wiped away the tears in her eyes. "Not everyone is so scared of facing the people we left behind."

Michael glared at Max. "I don't have anybody left behind."

"Yes, you do. You're just too worried about what may have happened while you've been away."

"No. Unlike you, Maxwell, when I say good-bye I mean it."

Isabel quickly stepped between the two men and hugged Michael tightly. "Then don't say good-bye now. If you don't change your mind and come to us, I'm coming back to check up on you." She kissed him lightly. "Take care of yourself."

Max followed Isabel to the entry of the ship, then turned back to Michael. "I know this place isn't what you hoped it would be. We may have thought we were aliens growing up, but now we know we weren't. Eventually you'll stop being stubborn and accept that earth is the only place for us to be."

Liz hurried across the quad. As usual she had gotten so caught up in her protein crystallizations that she had lost all track of time. Once again she would have to put up with Dr. Lindley's snide remark about her tardiness. For a minute her concentration on her inevitable chastisement was broken as she noticed the dark-haired man studying the campus map.

"Damn," she thought, "five years and I'm still staring at every tall, dark stranger I see. Someday I'm going to be able to forget the past and get on with my life." However, as she continued down the walkway and more of his face came into view, she suddenly realized that this time it was not her imagination playing tricks on her.

Max turned at the odd flapping sound as the thick books fell open on the concrete. He quickly grabbed the pieces of paper blowing away from them before turning his attention to their owner. "Sorry, I..."

"Oh my god. Max?" The brown eyes he had missed for so long were opened wide in amazement. He had been afraid that he would forget what she looked like. Her hair was cut different, it fell in loose waves that just brushed her shoulders. Her face looked a little older, more mature, but he was glad to find that his memory had not betrayed him.

"Hi Liz."

"Max, How...I mean, what..." Her voice trailed off as she looking at him, oblivious to the books she had dropped and he was now holding. He held them out to her.

"Looks like some pretty heavy reading." His attempt to lighten the situation snapped her mind back into motion.

"I can't believe you're here. I need to sit down." Liz started to walk over to some benches under the trees then stopped and turned toward Max again. "No, I have to get to class. I'm already running late."

"I'm sorry, Liz. I didn't think that I would just run into you like this. I really planned to do this some better way. But since we're here, couldn't we talk for a while? I mean, couldn't you skip class?"

"No, I can't do that. I'm the teacher. It's my job and I'm already in trouble as it is. And honestly I'm not sure I can deal with this right now." She looked at Max apologetically and began to walk away. Max ran up behind and began walking next to her.

"Liz, wait. I would really like it if we could talk. Maybe we could meet somewhere later?"

Liz hesitated for a minute, then nodded her head. "See that big concrete building over there? That's the biology building, where I have my class. Across the street is a little diner, Frankie's. The students meet there to study. I usually get out about five, but it's a lab and sometimes runs late, so I might be awhile."

Max smiled. "I've been waiting a long time to see you, I guess I can wait a little more."

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.