FanFic - Max/Liz
"Universal Harmony"
Part 3
by Jamie
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell.
Summary: 1. Max and Liz sort through their feelings after the "Blind Date" episode. 2. Maria and Michael begin fighting again because of Max and Liz's situation. 3. Alex and Isabel become closer to each other.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Liz opened the convenience store door and felt a wave of cool air wash over her. She was glad to be away from work, even if it was only for a moment. After saying a shy hello to the clerk behind the counter, she walked down the chips aisle to where they kept the ice cream. She was just about to open the sliding door when a hand appeared in front of her and opened it.

Liz backed up, startled. She turned to look at the person and relaxed when she saw Kyle Valenti.

"Hey," she smiled.

Kyle pulled out a Nestle Crunch Bar and shut the door. "Hey. Aren't you supposed to be at the Crashdown right now?"

"Uh, yeah." Liz looked down at her turquoise and silver outfit. "Ice cream run."

Kyle nooded and was about to walk away when Liz touched his arm.

"Are you okay? Last night you looked a little--" Liz started.

Kyle smiled and grabbed a bottle of Excedrin from a rack beside him. "Just a small headache. I'll get over it."

Liz laughed softly. Kyle leaned up against the rack and stared at her intensely. "So, did you and Max make up? I kind of left before the big finale."

Liz's face fell at the mention of Max. She clenched her jaw and looked down at the floor.

"Ooh, sore subject?" Sorry," Kyle muttered, a touch of awkwardness in his voice.

"It's okay," Liz said softly, turning back to the freezer.

"Hey, why don't I buy that for you? Just to apologize," Kyle suddenly said.

Liz grinned with appreciation. "Thanks. I'm going to have to get about three cartons until we can order more for the restaurant. . . is that okay?"

"No problem." Kyle held the door open for her as she chose the different flavors.

* * * *

Max walked up to the Mini-Mart door and was about to push it open when he spotted Liz. . . with Kyle Valenti. His heart dropped into his knees as he watched Liz put a hand on his arm, then laugh at something he said. He wanted to look away, but his eyes stayed glued to the scene playing out in front of him.

Liz and Kyle stood talking for a moment, then Kyle held the freezer door open as Liz leaned in. He saw the contented expressions on both of their faces as they walked over to the counter. Liz stood by as Kyle pulled his wallet out and paid for everything. Before they saw him, Max bolted around the corner as they approached the door. He leaned against the building, trying to squelch his jealousy.

Liz wasn't interested in Kyle--he knew that-- "Thanks for buying this stuff for me, Kyle." Max suddenly heard Liz's voice.

"It's okay! So, I take it that you accept my apology?" Liz laughed. "Yes, I do. Why don't you stop by the Crashdown and I'll make you a milkshake? On the house, of course!"

Now it was Kyle's turn to laugh with amusement. "It better be!"

After that, they were too far away for Max to hear them. He sank down to the pavement and sighed heavily. Kyle apologized? For what? Getting Max drunk? How he acted when Liz broke up with him? Bringing Max to her house after she began to forget about him? These thoughts invaded Max's mind, causing him sorrow. Obviously, he blew it with Liz. . . for good.

* * * *

Maria put aside the broom and flopped down in a nearby booth. It was nearly 10:00 and the Crashdown was finally empty. Only a few more minutes of cleaning up, then she could go home. Of course, she wasn't really looking forward to that, either. Her mother was probably out with Sheriff Valenti and the house would be deserted and quiet. Way too much time to dream about Michael.

She passed her hands over her face, almost trying to clear the thoughts from her head. "Bad Maria," she whispered aloud. "You don't want him to come here like he did a few weeks ago. . . it's better to stay away. . ." She closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths. "When you look at that door, there will be no one there because Michael doesn't like you and you don't like him." She slowly opened her eyes and focused on the door.

Michael stood on the other side, looking at her. Maria shook her head and stood quickly. "Girl, you are going insane!" She picked the broom up and started sweeping again. But when she glanced over at the door a second time, Michael was still there. "Hey, let me in!" his voice was muffled as he banged on the door.

Maria's heart started pounding, but she nonchalantly walked over and turned the key. Michael opened the door and stepped in.

"What do you want?" Maria asked, turning away from him and sweeping under a table.

"Is Liz around?"

Maria sighed. Of course, he wasn't there to see her. "She got off work about two hours ago. Why?"

"Is she upstairs?" Michael asked impatiently.

"I don't know!" Maria said, annoyed. "I've been down here all night."

The bell over the door rang, signaling someone else had entered. Maria spun around and saw Isabel.

"Hi," Maria greeted, confused.

Michael rapped his knuckles on a table and said to Isabel, "She's not here."

"Wha--I never said she wasn't here!" Maria excalimed, shooting Michael a dirty look. "What is this all about?"

Isabel looked worried. "Max hasn't come home yet. My mom and dad left for a company dinner before I got home, so I don't even know if THEY know where he is! I was wondering if he was with Liz."

Maria shrugged, concern crossing over her face. "Liz came back to the Crashdown with Kyle and worked till eight. Let me go upstairs and see if she's there." She started toward the door and Michael and Isabel followed.

"She came back with Kyle?" Michael said, racing up the stairs behind Maria. "Wasn't Max going to talk to her when she left?"

"Oh, no." Isabel reached the top step only a second after the other two. "Knowing Max, he came to some ridiculous conclusion and ran off somewhere." Maria knocked on the Parker's door and waited impatiently for the door to open. Mrs. Parker appeared a moment later.

"Maria? Uh, is the restaurant closed up?" she asked, glancing inquisitively at Michael and Isabel. "Yeah. I was wondering if Liz was here?" Maria asked, trying to keep the panic out of her voice.

"Why, no. She went out about thirty minutes ago. . . should I be worried about something?" Mrs. Parker asked.

"Oh, no!" Maria laughed, trying to ease the tension, Michael and Isabel followed her lead and smiled easily. Isabel spoke up. "I was just wondering if she wanted to go to a late movie with all of us, but I guess we'll go without her. Tell her we stopped by, though."

Mrs. parker nodded and smiled pleasantly at Isabel. "Of course I will. I'm sorry she missed you."

"Thanks, Mrs. Parker," Maria said as the three started down the stairs again.

"Great. They ran off somewhere." Michael threw his hands up helplessly.

"Maybe they're working things out," Maria offered hopefully.

"Or maybe something's wrong," Isabel said, almost to herself.

"Why don't we check over at Alex's house?" Maria asked.

"Good idea." Isabel opened the Crashdown door and held it as the other two passed through. "We have to find Max. I've got something really important to tell him," Michael said.

* * * *

Liz leisurely strolled to the Evan's house. She had gone upstairs after her shift and taken a shower. She was prepared for a dull evening of sitting on her balcony and lamenting the day's events in her journal, but her thoughts continually shifted to fantasies about Max. She was hoping that she would hear his familiar voice calling up to her from the street. Then he would climb up the ladder and pull her into his arms. The thoughts kept invading her mind, driving her crazy. If he wasn't going to come to her, she would go to him.

Now, she felt like turning around and walking quickly back to the Crashdown. She couldn't stand feeling so awkward around Max--the Evans' house stood in front of her. She tried to calm her nerves as she walked up the steps to the Evans' front door and tentatively knocked.

Footsteps on the other side of the door caused Liz's hands to shake. She stuffed them in her pockets. Mrs. Evans opened the door and smiled. "Well. . . hello. Can I help you?"

Liz took a breath to calm herself and softly asked, "Is Max here? I was. . . um, I was going to ask him if he finished the homework for Biology. I'm kind of lost and I need his help."

"Oh, well, I'm sorry, but he's not here. Before Mr. Evans and I left for a dinner tonight, Max's boss at the UFO Center called him in to set up a new exhibit for tomorrow. I supposed he's still there," Mrs. Evans offered, looking at her watch.

"Okay. Thanks." Liz waved good bye and started back to her street, where the UFO Center was located across the road from the Crashdown.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.