FanFic - Other
"An Affair to Remember"
Part 3
by Andaluchia
Disclaimer: I'm not sure who the story belongs to, but it's not mine. Also the characters are not mine either except for maybe a few made up here and there.
Summary: It's a Roswell version of the old classic and WONDERFUL movie "An Affair To Remember."
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
"Well, no I think that if they had Johnson coaching then the Cowboys would be doing a lot better," William said.

"Johnson is a good coach. Really tough," Michael said.

"Didn't he coach you when you were playing?"

"Yeah, he did. Excellent coach, doesn't take any shit," Michael said remembering his football days. In high school he never played sports. He wasn't even interested.

But, Isabel had insisted he go to college. Of course, when college comes so does tuition. He didn't want to disappoint Isabel so he applied at Oakland State. It was the first day of classes and he was walking down the halls reading the financial aid form and trying to think of what the hell he was going to major in. That's when the football coach spotted him.

"Say there son, you play football?"

Michael had been a little shocked that some guy he'd never even seen before came up to him to ask random questions like that.

"No, sir. I've never played before," Michael answered.

"Never played before? I'm surprised. You gotta good build there," he looked down at the financial aid papers Michael was holding. "I'm Coach Johnson. Why don't you stop by my office after classes and we'll see about you playing for the team, if you're interested of course."

"Sir, I told you I've never played football," Michael reminded him.

"Well, you know how the games goes right? You've watched it on TV," the coach said. Michael nodded. "Well, good! That's perfect. You learn how to play and you just react! You're the best kind!" The Coach said happily. "Besides, we can see about getting you a scholarship."

Michael wasn't sure what to say. And at that moment, he wondered what Maria would think of this. "I don't know," Michael hesitated. The coach shook his head.

"I won't take no for an answer. My office, 5 p.m. sharp," he said and walked back down the hall.

Michael came out of his flashback and listened to William blabber on.

"I can't believe what Miller was thinking on Sunday!" William said about the bad pass Miller made at a game.

"Well, that's the problem there. He was thinking," Michael said.

"What do you mean?"

"You see when you think about it you waste time. In football you gotta know the game so well that you just react. The great ones know it so well they don't think they just react. That's how the game must be played," Michael said.

"See now, you're a true football player," William said and they continued talking more about the subject.

Maria sat back and watched the conversation between the boys. She looked over at Claire who was also smiling.

"Men," Claire whispered and they both giggled. "If it isn't money or politics it's football."

"Or sports in general," Maria said.

"With William it's always football. He talks so much about it I think I could go out and play already," Claire said. Maria laughed.

"I know what you mean," Maria said through giggles. "So, how long have you and William been married?"

"17 wonderful years," Claire said.

"Wow! You don't look old enough to be married that long," Maria said.

"Well, thank you dear. Actually, we got married when were 18 years old," Claire told her. "What about you and Michael?"

Maria had to think about the question for a second. It was a little surprising. Claire obviously didn't hear Maria say they were just friends earlier.

"We're not together. We're friends," Maria said. Claire shook her head.

"That's what they all say, honey. See now, that's how William and I started out. Just as friends. We had been friends since the 3rd grade and then love just hit us like a brick after graduation. We were married after 3 months of being together."

Maria smiled at the lady. She wanted to believe that Michael and her would be like that, but things were too different now. He was in love with Isabel and of course she loved Kyle.

"I'm engaged," Maria said. Claire immediately got up and motioned for Maria to come with her.

"Excuse us boys," Claire said as they left. Michael lightly touched Maria's hand.

"Where are you guys going?" He asked, with a disappointed expression that she was leaving.

Maria shrugged an 'I don't know.' Michael gave a reluctant expression to let her go.

"We'll only be gone a minute," Claire said to Michael. Claire grabbed Maria's arm and led her to the other side of the train. "Men! They act like they don't want you around and then when you leave they act like you're going to another planet.

"You know how it is. They gotta have their girl talk," William laughed. "My wife just loves to talk and talk and talk," William said and more laughter followed.

"Yes, Maria is exactly like that. She has something to say about everything," Michael said and joined in on the laughter.

"Sweetheart, I don't think you've noticed have you?"

"Noticed what?" Maria asked. Claire gestured over at Michael.

"That man loves you so much his head is about to explode!"

Maria wanted to burst out laughing, but decided it would be disrespectful.

"We're both engaged," Maria reminded her.

"Oh please, you ain't been more engaged than I am a man," Claire said. Maria really had to bite back her laughter this time. "I told you sometimes it takes best friends a while to realize there feelings."

It didn't take me a while to realize my feelings for Michael, I already knew, Maria thought to herself.

"Well, um...he is engaged to his childhood best friend. Michael and I just saw each other for the first time today in years," Maria said.

"Exactly my point!" Claire exclaimed. "No wonder he looks so content! You see now, true soul mates can never be kept a part."

Maria looked over at Michael. He was trying to pay attention to William, but kept looking over at Maria.

"Well, see I'm engaged to my childhood friend," Maria said quietly. There was a silence as Claire watched Maria and Maria watched Michael. She had to take in a deep breath as she thought about how beautiful he looked sitting there smiling at her. She had to fight back the urge to go and run her hands through his hair. Maria finally looked up at Claire and said, "I'm madly in love with Kyle."

"Trying to convince yourself is going to get you nowhere, child." Claire said.

"I'm not trying to convince myself," Maria said, a little offended. "I do love Kyle."

"Really?"

"More than anything," Maria said.

Claire shrugged. "OK, sweetie. Just trying to give some advice."

'Well, no one asked you,' Maria wanted to snap at her. But, it would hurt her feelings and she was a very nice lady.

"Well, alls I know is you look at him the same way I looked at William when I fell in love with him."

"You sure you two is just friends?" William asked.

"Yeah. We went to high school together. We just saw each today for the first time in years," Michael told him as he looked over at Maria. Her hair was flowing down her back and Michael had to fight back the urge to walk over to her and run his hands through it.

"Well, as my wife would say, and I do believe her, true soul mates can never be kept a part," William said.

"She is engaged to someone," Michael told him. William just shook his head.

"Well, her love is for you," William said. Michael didn't say anything. He just watched Maria.

William leaned in closer to Michael and said, "You know, throughout high school I had this girlfriend. Her name was Helen and I remember she was the most beautiful girl in school. Like the Gia of the school."

"Gia?" Michael asked.

"Oh, I guess she is a little before your time. She was a beautiful model from the 80's," William said.

"Oh."

"Anyway, Claire and I were just friends, but I always had this feeling like I was cheating on Claire, even though we were never together," William said and then stopped to think. "Anyway, Helen was always talking about getting married and I almost agreed."

Michael suddenly wanted to here how it unfolded. "So, what happened?" He asked.

"Well, I remember sitting there thinking about how I wanted to own this restaurant. How I imagined my life owning a restaurant and Claire was always in the picture. Always. So, one day I tried to picture Helen in my future life and well, she looked really odd being there." William said.

Michael shook his head with understanding. It was true. When Michael was in high school, he'd always think about going home. To his real home and whenever he thought about that he thought about Maria. But, then he'd stop because he'd have to think about what it'd be like without Maria and he just couldn't go there.

After high school, whenever he did something, saw something, learned something new he wondered what Maria would think. Then of course, he would remember that she was dead, or at least he thought, and he didn't want to think about it. He didn't want to think that he would never have a second chance.

"I'm madly in love with Isabel."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.