FanFic - Other
"Don't Speak"
Part 15
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own the Characters or the title. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Michael, Max, Maria, Isabel, Liz, Alex, Tess and Kyle's lives seem back on track. With Max and Liz's wedding quickly approaching, all seems perfect. Then the mysterious Jennifer arrives in Roswell and things quickly spiral out of control. Maria leaves Michael, Isabel learns one of the group is keeping a secret, and Max and Liz begin fighting. Taye is drawn to Jennifer, yet doesn't understand why. When Tess questions Jennifer's motives, she disappears. Who is the mysterious Jennifer? And will life as we know it in Roswell ever be the same?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Cari for helping me come up with a title for this piece. I owe you one! You must have read "Secrets", "The Journey" and "Letting Go" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see them at Fan Forum if you need the other fictions.
Max and Liz walked into the house. They had to pick up Jacey and then they' d be ready to head home. Max noticed the lights were off. "They must have gone out for a while." Max said, flipping on a light.

Liz followed him in and sat down on the couch. "We'll just wait. They'll be back soon. I told them we wouldn't be really late."

Max walked over to the couch and sat down beside Liz. He put his arm around her and pull her head down on his shoulder. "I had fun tonight." He said, smiling. "I mean, aside from the while Michael situation everything was perfect. We should do this every week."

"We're parents, Maxwell." Liz said. "We don't have time to do this every week."

"My parents will watch her." Max said, stroking her hair. "They love spending time with her."

Liz shook her head. "I'm not going to push Jacey off on your parents. She' s our responsibility, not theirs."

Max thought about what she'd said. She was right, Jacey was their responsibility, but surely that didn't mean they weren't allowed to do things alone.at least once in a while. "Maybe once a month then?" Max asked.

Liz grinned and cuddled closer to him. "Maybe." She said.

Max glanced over at the end table and noticed the light blinking on the answering machine. He pushed the button.

"Hello?"

"Isabel?"

"Maria?"

"What's wrong? Are you ok?" "Maria?"

"I'm sorry." "I shouldn't have called."

The phone went dead.

"Max!" Liz said, obviously concerned.

Max pulled her close. "I'm sure everything's OK." He had to admit he was worried himself. Maria sounded scared. All he could hope was that Isabel had gotten to her.

"What if she wasn't thinking clearly?" Liz asked. "It almost sounded as if." She let her words trail off. She couldn't bring herself to say it. She knew Maria wouldn't hurt herself.

"As if she's done something to herself?" Max finished.

Liz nodded her head. Sometimes it was great that she and Max understood each other. She hugged him. Somehow that made her feel safer.

She sat up quickly as the phone rang. Max reached over and picked it up. "Hello?", his deep voice asked.

"Max?" Alex asked surprise. "Is Isabel there? I need to talk to her." He was quiet for a moment. "I feel somewhat responsible for tonight."

"Responsible?" Max asked. "For What?"

"I was the one who insisted on going to UFOnics. I wanted Michael to have fun. I didn't know Maria and Is were gonna be there." He explained.

"Don't beat yourself up." Max said. "I don't think you forced him to dance with that girl."

"I might as well have." Alex said. "I just have to make sure Isabel isn't mad at me. Can I talk to her?"

"Um.actually she's not here." Max explained.

"Oh." He said. "Should I call Maria's?"

"I don't think she's there either." Max said. "Look, there was call on the answering machine between Isabel and Maria. She sounded scared and then apologized for calling. Isabel must have gone to find her. She's not here." Max felt a chill run down his back. "I can have her call when she gets home." He said.

"Damn." Alex said. "I knew something like this would happen. Don't worry about telling her I called. I'm on my way over there."

"Suit yourself." Max said. "Talk to you soon."

"Bye." Alex said as he hung up.

"Alex is coming over." Max said to no one in particular.

He noticed the tears in Liz's eyes. "What's wrong, Lizzy?" He asked, putting his arm around her.

"I'm scared." She admitted. "Maria and I haven't gotten to spend a lot of quality time together, especially lately. She and Isabel are together so much. It's like.like." She tried to get it out. "Like I don't even exist. Why didn't she call me? She called Isabel. Do you know how much that hurts?" She hadn't meant to tell Max what she'd been feeling. But the more she thought about it the more she hurt.

Max didn't know what to say. "Your and Maria's friendship is very important. Even to Maria. You've got to understand that Isabel and Maria are sisters. Alien sisters at that. Maria probably thinks Isabel understands her. I mean, take for example what we learned on Aardon. Maria and Isabel are basically twins. They function better as one. Maria is scared of loosing you, too. Not because she's always with Isabel, but because she's afraid you won't accept her now. Especially since you know she's part alien."

Liz looked at Max. "Did she tell you that?" She asked.

Max shook his head. "I just knew."

"I love Maria." Liz said. "No matter WHAT or WHO she is."

"I know." Max said, kissing her forehead. "I know."

There was a knock on the door and Alex walked in. "Hi!" He said sitting on the love seat.

"Hey." Liz and Max said together.

"Any news?" Alex asked.

"Nothing." Max answered. "Here's what was on the machine." He hit the play button and let Alex here it word for word.

"Where's Michael?" Alex asked after finishing the tape.

"Don't know, don't care." Max admitted.

"Max." Liz said. She shook her head. She knew he was angry at Michael.

The door opened an Isabel walked in. She didn't see Alex, Liz and Max at first. She wiped away the excess tears and walked into the living room.

Max was the first to speak. "Where's Maria?" He asked.

Isabel sat down in the chair and shook her head. "I don't know. She's gone."

"Gone?" Liz asked. "What do you mean?"

"She's gone." Isabel repeated. "You know, away from Roswell. I don't know where or if she's coming back. I couldn't stop her."

"When did she leave?" Max asked.

Isabel shrugged her shoulders. "We went back to her house after she saw Mic hael. She packed up and left not long after that."

"What about the phone call?" Alex asked.

Isabel looked confused. "Phone call? How did you know she called?"

Max pushed the button on the answering machine. "You were both scared."

"Where did she go, Isabel?" Liz asked. She knew Isabel had to know.

"She called from a pay phone. She.she needed money. I had to go transfer some money from my account to hers." She looked at Liz. "I'm sorry, I don' t know where she is."

Liz noticed the hurt in her eyes. She knew Isabel knew something. Why wouldn't she say anything? "It's ok.." Liz said, forcing a smile. "She's really stubborn. If I can't get her to talk, no one can."

Isabel couldn't stand Liz being so sweet, especially since she was lying to them. "She wants me to wish you and Max the happiness you deserve. She's not gonna be at the wedding. She said that she loves you both."

Tears formed in Liz's eyes. "She's not going to be here?" Liz asked, just to makes sure.

"I'm sorry." Isabel said. "She made it sound like she wasn't coming back."

"Where's Michael?" Max asked suddenly.

"He's looking for her." Isabel said. "Just leave him alone Max. He's already hurting enough as it is."

"I highly doubt it." Max said sarcastically.

Isabel couldn't take anymore. "You're not the only one hurt by this you know." She said, looking at Max. "Liz and Alex's friend is missing. My sister and best friend is gone. And Michael! Don't you realize how much Maria means to him? God, I can't believe you." She put her head into her hand and began to cry.

Liz stood up and walked over to Isabel. She sat down on the arm of the chair and squeezed her shoulder. "Isabel's right, Max." Liz said, putting her feelings aside. "We've got to stick together if we're gonna find Maria. There can't be any blaming."

Max forced a smile. "I can try." He said.

Part 14 | Index | Part 16
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.