FanFic - Other
"Letting Go"
Part 29
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Max has come to terms with the relationship he and Maria share. Tess reveals some startling news the pod squad of something she uncovered in the compound while being held prisoner. The group is in their senior year of high school, but major changes lay ahead. When a call goes out to Nasedo offering a chance for the aliens to return home, they have to choose between what their mind and their heart says. Faced with the possibility of never seeing the humans again, the aliens must make a choice. Will they make the right one?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: You must have read "Secrets" and "The Journey" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see the Other category on Crashdown.Com if you need either of the fictions.
Liz rolled over on the soft mattress. She opened her eyes and remembered where she was. She and Alex had been staying at the cave together for the last few months. He'd been kind enough to bring a mattress into the cave. At first they'd slept on sleeping bags, but it was just too uncomfortable for Liz. He'd done everything in his power to make her comfortable. She looked around the cave to see if she could find him anywhere. He was sitting in the corner, humming a song.

"Hey." She said, getting up and walking over to him. She sat down next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Good morning." He said, kissing her forehead. "Sleep good?"

"Like a log." She smiled. "I didn't hear anything at all last night."

"I kinda noticed." He said, peering down into his arms. "She's so beautiful."

Liz reached over and took the baby from Alex. She held her close. Alex was right; the baby was beautiful. A miracle of sorts. "I wish Max could see her."

Alex brushed his fingers against the baby's cheek and sighed. "He will someday." He said. "She's got his eyes."

Liz looked down at the baby and saw Max's eyes staring back at her. It seemed that Jacey was the only link she'd ever have to Max. He'd been gone for ten months and there were no signs that he'd be back soon. She knew she should try to move on, yet something was holding her back.

Alex's heart went out to Liz. He knew she missed Max. He had been trying so hard to get him home before the baby was born, but had no luck. He looked down at the baby in her arms. He loved her just like she was his. At times he even wished she was. It would be so much easier on Liz. He'd become accustomed to getting up in the middle of the night with her. If he heard Liz get up, he'd be right there with her, keeping her company through the night. If it wasn't for the thought that Isabel and Max would return one day, he would have maybe perused a relationship with Liz. God knows he loved her. Just not in the same way he loved Isabel. He'd never love anyone the way he loved her.

"Thank you, Alex." She said, putting her head on his shoulder again. "You've been there for me and now you're there for Jacey. I love you for that, you know."

Alex put his arm around Liz and gently touched Jacey's dark brown hair. "I wouldn't have it any other way." For an instant Liz wanted to kiss him. The past year had been the worst time of her life, yet Alex and Jacey made it all worthwhile. Alex had been there for her when no one else could be. But a picture of Max floated into her mind and made her dismiss the thought. She had to face it; her heart belonged to Max.

Alex continued to hold Liz. They sat there in silence as they had often done since the group had left. The strongest and best conversations that Alex and Liz had were the ones where no words were spoken. They were closer now than they'd ever been. And secretly, what kept each of them from going insane, was the other. Someday, somehow, they knew they'd see Michael, Maria, Isabel, Tess and Max again. Until then, all they had were each other.

Part 28 | Index | Part 30
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.