FanFic - Other
"Sexual Temptations"
Part 14
by Jez
Disclaimer: I don't own a thing (but if I did, I wouldn't share Michael =0P)
Summary: In the mid 1800's, Father Maxwell Evans arrives in America...
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Based Nehal's Sexual Temptations Challenge
I wait, huddled under the long, fan-like foliage of ferns in the underbrush. It should not be long now. My ears strain, grasping for the sound of the anticipated wagon crossing over the low bridge. The sound of horse hooves galloping on the dirt road echoes in the stillness. Two figures on horseback ride towards me, slowing down as they cross the bridge.

"Michael! Michael, I know that you are out there!" I stand up from my hiding spot.

"Alexander? Isabel?!? What are you two doing here?" Alexander and Isabel climb from their horses, a grim look passing between them. Taking the reigns from my sister, Alexander leads the stallions deep into the bush. Isabel wraps her arms around my neck.

"Oh, Michael, it is terrible. They found out about Alexander." My mind freezes as I reach up to stroke her golden hair.

"Do they know about Kyle and I?" My sister shakes her head. Alexander comes out from the bush and takes Isabel from my arms, holding her in a possessive grasp against his chest. Isabel leans back wearily, a small sigh of sorrow escaping from her lips. Alexander brushes his hand across her cheek.

"I cannot go back to Ravensport. You should return; tell the townsfolk that you were told by me that your son had taken ill. Isabel and I will continue on from here." I reach out to grab my sister's arm, glaring at Alexander.

"Isabel is not going anywhere with you. They know who you are. It is only a matter of time before they know what you did. It is too dangerous." Isabel pushes me back and glares at me, her dark eyes flashing.

"This is my decision, Michael. You have no say in what I do. I choose to go with my love." There is something in the set of her jaw that prevents me from arguing further. I run my hands through my hair.

"This is bad. I should collect Tess and the children and leave Ravensport." Alexander shakes his head.

"There is no need. All will be blamed on me. Do not forget, now the townspeople know that Maria and Kyle's wedding is not legitimate. Maxwell will not perform the marriage -- he's too righteous. Unless they find a real priest to marry them, there is still a chance for you to be together." Isabel winks at me, a wide grin spreading across her features. I smile back, my mind churning with possibilities. Suddenly, I hear the sound of horses in the distance. Alexander nods towards the hidden road through the woods.

"Go. There is no reason for you to do this anymore." I take my sisters hand and lead her swiftly into the forest. Treading through the thick branches, we reach the small meadow where my cargo lies. I walk towards my covered wagon, the herd of horses grazing lazily in the field. I pull back the cover, exposing my precious cargo.

"There has been a slight change of plans. Everybody out." Six heads of tightly curled black hair shoot up as six pairs of coal black eyes meet my own. Isabel and I help the runaways out of the wagon. Four men, a woman, and a child shield their eyes from the blazing light of the sun.

I lead the small group away from the glen. Alexander stands on the side of the road, binding an unconscious Fergus to a tree. A large wagon with twenty slaves sits on the bridge. The six runaways behind me rush forward to greet their friends and family. I kneel down to help Alexander tighten the bonds around the other man's wrists.

"Where will you go after this, my friend?" He grins at me, his eyes alight with triumph.

"Isabel and I will take the children north. It is safer for them then to let them travel by foot with the adults. I hear that Canada is quite lovely at this time of year." Laughing, I pat Alexander's shoulder.

"Just make certain that you stay alive, Alexander. You now have the obligation to protect my sister. If something happens to her, it will not be the bounty hunters that you must worry about."

"Are you talking about me, dear brother?" I turn to face the threatening eyes of Isabel Guerin.

"Aye. I was only warning Alexander about the trouble he is in for, now that you are to be living with him." She smacks me playfully in the arm. Grinning, I wrap her in my arms. "I want you to be careful too, Isabel. Perhaps stay with some abolitionists while Alexander travels with the children." She shakes her head against my shoulder.

"No. I am going to help. They need me." Isabel pulls away from me, and I take her face in my hands, trying to memorize every curve of her face. This could very well be the last time that I see her.

"Then you must be careful. I expect you to be alive to spoil you niece or nephew." She laughs, and walks toward the wagon.

"And I expect you to provide me with many more." I watch as Isabel takes charge, breaking the runaways into small groups of four. I sigh wistfully. My little sister is all grown up and breaking the law. Where does the time go?

Alexander waves me away, laughing. With one last look at Isabel, I trot back to my wagon to gather my herd. It is time for me to claim what is mine.

***

"Put her in the cell down the hall."

Judge Valenti pushes me roughly past the rod iron door -- the letters "F U C K" scrawled above the frame, mocking me with sadistic delight -- as a medium-size man comes into the room from behind a desk. My Elizabeth is lead away down a different hallway as the cell is locked around me. She looks back at me, her vulnerable doe eyes wide with shock and fright. My seraph mouths three words to me; I love you. I mouth them back as the door closes behind her.

"Your honor, this is all an extremely huge misunderstanding. You see -- " The judge turns his back to me, walking away without so much as a glance.

"Save your excuses for the trial, Father Evans. Judgment will meet you in the morning" The door closes behind him with a resounding boom. Silence surrounds me, as if I have already met my maker. Trying to ignore the overwhelming feeling of helplessness, I survey my surroundings.

A rickety old bed lays in the corner, bare except for a thin gray pillow and stained, worn blanket. A tin chamber pot lays in the middle of the mattress. In the center of the wall, a small window provides the only light in the room. Under said window, small wooden desk and chair lay naked under the cold, harsh light. As I look out the window into the afternoon sunlight, I hear the door creak open once again.

"Would you like some stationary, Father?" I turn around to face the self same man who lead away my love. He smiles faintly, holding a fountain pen and paper through the bars. "I just thought that you might have some family to contact."

"Thank you." I take the meager gifts and lay them on the desk as the man leaves me to my thoughts. I neglect the whim to write my Elizabeth. I want the last words that are spoken between us to be "I love you," even if our voices rang loud and clear only in our souls. But who is there under God's blue sky that I would want to receive my last words?

My father. I decide my father deserves one last letter. I have had no contact with him since arriving in Virginia; mail by sea leaves something to be desired. Although by the time this reaches him, I will most likely be charged and possibly hung, I owe him one last letter.

Shaking grim thoughts from my head, I sit down in the chair. The pen feels cold in my hands, and my fingers recoil. I watch as my hand shakes, reluctant to commit to any last memorandum to the man who gave me life. How do I explain to this man how the gift he gave me will soon be taken away? Sighing deeply, I reach for the pen again.

Dear Father;

I am sorry that I have not heard from you since my arrival in America. Although I wish it were otherwise, I regret to inform you that my situation is less than ideal. I have met some very complicated circumstances which required controversial decisions. Needless to say, I must now face the consequences.

I fell in love upon reaching Ravensport. With a nun, whose given name is Elizabeth Parker. Although we have not violated the vows to God that she has made, we were caught in a very suggestible situation. A situation to which the conclusion has wrongfully been drawn. My love and myself face charges for unlawful carnal knowledge. Although I face almost certain death at the hands of a ruthless man -- a man who recently hung an innocent girl-child after a false confession -- do not feel sorry for me. All is well.

Until I met my Elizabeth, I never desired to be enchanted by a siren. I never considered the absolute perfection of such a death. But now, as I sit in this cold cell, with the letters "F U C K" written in angry, bold letters above the door, I know it was all worth while. I would die a thousand deaths as long as I could drown in her ocean.

My Elizabeth once told me that the answers I seek are within my heart, and to find these answers, I must look within. When I did -- and still when I do now -- I find her. I know that you wished for me to become a priest, but do not be ashamed. I found all the faith I need within one raven-haired angel of God. My life has been more successful then I could have ever imagined.

My only regrets are that she too faces these charges, and that I will never live to see you again. If I have ever wronged you, I apologize. I wish for nothing but peace between us. Do not mourn my passing, for we shall meet again.

All my love,

Maxwell.

Part 13 | Index | Part 15
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.