FanFic - Unconventional Couples
"Crossed Wires"
Part 3
by Pinaypoet
Disclaimer: Don’t own anything having to do with Roswell...the lucky Melinda Metz and Jason Katims do though....
Summary: In the aftermath of Destiny, Max and Maria find solace and love in the last place they expected to
Category: Unconventional Couples
Rating: PG-13
“No problem,” Maria said. “Besides I prefer to drive anyways, gives me a sense of control.” She laughed, “Wouldn’t want you taking advantage of me now would we?”

“Look, I’m sorry I have to ask,” Max said apologetically. “But the only other option is to roll into the concert driving the family station wagon.”

Maria giggled, “We couldn’t have that could we? Okay, well I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

She was just about to hang up the phone when she got the urge to say something.

“Oh and Max, I just wanted to say thank you and I’m really excited about tonight.”

“Me too” he admitted with a smile.

Max hung up the phone and ran to his room. He wanted to do one final check on his outfit to make sure he didn’t look too much like a dork. As he stood in front of the mirror checking his hair, he saw Michael climb into his room through the reflection.

“Oh hey Michael.” Max turned around and helped him in.

“Oh hey.” Michael said in his usual uninterested tone andsat down in his usual chair, slumping down and rubbing his eyes.

Max noticing his frustration asked, “Are you okay? It’s been a while since you’ve come climbing through here.”

“Yeah, I just didn’t feel like going back to my apartment, you know. Too many reminders of. .” Michael cut himself off, aware of what he was about to admit. But as he looked up at Max, checking to see if he picked up on his little slip, he noticed that Max wasn’t even listening to what he was saying. Then Michael noticed how dressed up Max was and that he was obviously going somewhere.

“Where are YOU going?”

“Huh?” Max said, not even hearing a word Michael had been saying.

“I said where are you going? Going to go begging at Liz’s doorstep again?” Michael chuckled at the thought of Max on his hands and knees.

Max turned with a disgruntled look oh his face, “No actually. . .”

He was interrupted by a quick tap at the door and Maria walking in nonchalantly not even noticing Michael in the corner of the room.

“Sorry, your mom let me in. Are you ready to go?” She had come in and spoken so quickly that both Michael and Max were taken by surprise.

But both stood there speechless as they reveled at Maria’s beauty. Her simple black dress hugged her curves perfectly and her natural make-up only added to her already natural beauty. She had put her hair up into a simple bun with a few wisps hanging down around her face. She looked so simple yet so beautiful. Both men stood there unable to speak.

“Hello, am I talking to myself here?” Maria quizically looked at Max shaking her head.

“What?” Max finally said brought back into reality. “Oh sorry.” He smiled and crossed the room in two steps and gave her a hug. “You look great!”

Michael stood there stunned at the scene unfolding before him. What was this, his best friend and his girlfriend? When did all of this happen? He knew he had been ignoring Maria, but he wasn’t completely oblivious to her. How could something like this have slipped passed him? As he stood there stunned, visualizing scenarios of Max and Maria, he could actually feel the heat of jealousy rising in his face.

“Me? You look like you just stepped out of a GQ Magazine” Maria said eyeing his tasteful grey slacks and black sweater.

With every passing second Michael felt like he was getting closer and closer to exploding. His fists clenched and his teeth grinding, he thought it was time to make his presence known.

“So what’s this? You guys going out or something?” Sensing his jealousy starting to show he quickly covered up by directing his conversation towards Max. “I thought we agreed, Max. We need to focus on US right now. We can’t just go along thinking everything is normal. Do I need to remind you what happened last night with Isabel and Alien Congresswoman ?”

Max turned around, “Look Michael I’m entitled to one night of fun and relaxation ok. God, do you even realize how much pressure I’ve been under lately? And yeah I do not need to be reminded of what happened last night, okay? All of you have been so self-absorbed lately that you haven’t even noticed what I’ve been going through.” Max was tired of always being the responsible one. This time Michael could be the one to pick up the pieces and fix things. Max was through with that, even if only for one night.

Maria, finally realizing that Michael was in the room, and somewhat feeling guilty gently touched Max’s shoulder. “ Maybe this isn’t such a good idea. I mean we can do this another time.”

Max quicklly turned around, “No, I’ve had enough of his guilt trips. We’re going.” Max said matter of factly.

Maria shyly raised her gaze at Michael and the minute she did, she regretted it. She looked into his eyes and saw all the anger, hurt, jealousy, and pain that this one moment was causing him. But these feelings were slowly followed by all the instances that he had ingored her, brushed her off, and not even acknowledged her existence these past three months. Her regret quickly turned into anger.

“Look Max, its up to you. But I really want to go.” Maria replied, not wanting Michael to have control over her emotions once again.

Michael hearing every word she said responded in typical stonewall fashion. “Maria this isn’t about you ok? I know that’s hard to believe but it isn’t.” Ooh that should hurt, Michael though. Good. Let’s see her recover from that one.

Hearing that Max was infuriated by what Michael said, looking at Maria and seeing the hurt expression on her face. He turned to Michael and stood between him and Maria. “Michael that’s enough. You have no right to speak to her that way. That was completely uncalled for.”

Michael took two steps forward and suddently they were face to face, “And you have no right defending her. Since when did you become HER designated savior?” By this time Michael was literally in Max’s face, and his anger was fuming.

“Maybe since she knew she couldn’t depend on YOU for anything!”

Maria stepped in between them quickly, not wanting to see things escalate. “Okay you two” pushing them apart, “that’s enough.”

Both of them looked at Maria, coming down from their testosterone high and suddenly remembering that she was even in the room. Max looked apologetic and hung his head a little shameful of his behavior. Michael refused to tear his gaze away from Max, looking like he was ready to kill.

Calmly Maria turned to Michael and tried to speak in a soothing voice, like one of her aromatherapy oils. “Okay, let’s just calm down okay? We don’t want to say something we’re going to regret.”

Michael looked into Maria’s surprisingly serene face and suddenly felt ashamed at what he had done. What was he doing? He had no right to get jealous of anyone, least of all Max. But the thought of the two of them sent him raging again. So he quickly turned around, hopped out of the window and went running into the dark street, afraid of what he might do if he stayed. Maria stood there a little stunned at his sudden departure and feeling a little guilty.

She slowly turned around to face Max who was sitting on his bed with his hands in his face. She could swear that she could hear him crying.

Not knowing exactly what to do, she sat down next to him and slowly began to rub his back. Max finally looked up and gave her a weak smile.

She grabbed his arm and pulled him up. “C’mon let’s go. We’re gonna be late. And I know I didn’t spend a grip of money on these tickets for nothing.” She smiled hoping her humor would lighten the situation.

Max smiled back at her thanking her with his eyes. “Okay” was all he said.

In that moment looking into his eyes, Maria understood what he was feeling. Feeling like he had lost not only a friend, but a part of himself. Feeling like everything was beginning to fall apart in his controlled little world. Feeling like he didn’t care because it was for . . . Maria, all for Maria. And although she didn’t want to admit it, that made her feel good. Loved and wanted.

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.