With additions by Krista
You say, “Dreamer, Candy, Stargazer, Lamptrimmer”… we say, “Roswellian!”
Frequently, once you discover that a new friend also loves a television show close to your heart, among the first questions you’ll ask them is, “Which couple do you ship?” To the outside observer, this may sound strange. “Ship?” Well, perhaps we get away from ourselves sometimes. After all, in the case of Roswell, our ships are our guilty pleasure.
For those who may be unfamiliar with the terminology, here is Wikipedia’s definition of a “shipper” in regard to a fandom such as ours.
Shipping, initially derived from the word relationship, is the desire by fans for two or more people, either real-life people or fictional characters (in film, literature, television etc.) to be in a relationship, romantic or otherwise. It is considered a general term for fans’ emotional involvement with the ongoing development of a relationship in a work of fiction. Shipping often takes the form of creative works, including fanfiction and fan art, most often published on the internet.
Source: Wikipedia Shipping (Fandom)
While other shows have shipper names that often just combine the first names of their favorite couples, Roswell fans created amazing names to show their dedication for the on-screen relationships, individual characters and even the actors.
Many of the names seemed to float off the pages of the scripts, seemingly becoming common-place so naturally that it was as though they had always existed. Other names changed and evolved until the perfect fit was discovered by our loyal fanbase.
In follow up posts, we will dedicate a series to the Roswell shipper names and we hope that you will help us!
Please let us know your thoughts on the fandom and the creativity.
To start this series, we are talking about Baron And Toluca, the so-called ‘Spiritual Successor’ of Roswell. Do you have an idea for a shipper name for the B+T couple? Krista has a fun idea already, but let’s hear what the other Dans come up with. Stay tuned and make sure to share your ideas!
1. What are your memories about the name search back in the day.
2. Did you suggest one of the shipper names yourself? What’s the story behind it?
3. What moment or episode sealed for you which couple(s) you shipped?
4. Did that pivotal moment/episode have any bearing on your perception of the accepted fandom couple name for your favourite pairing(s)?
5. Perhaps you are a new fan who discovered “Roswell’ after its original airing. How did you discover the shipper names? What was your first impression of them?
6. Which “images“ do you link to the couples? For example, a common Dreamer image is strawberries. What reminds you in your everyday routine about them?
7. Although nearly every pairing at one point in time has been given a name, some of these are lesser known. Have you created a new name for a pairing?
8. Join the “What If” game. What if, there wouldn’t be Dreamer-, Candy-Shipper? Which name would they have?
Please let us know in the comments below, send an e-mail at email@example.com or contact us via our different social media channels. If you post a comment here on the Crashdown website, it will stay hidden so that we can include it in the follow-up articles.